Recipe by Lennie
Taken from Out of This World CookBook II, this recipe is from the wife of astronaut, and U.S. senator, John Glenn. John Glenn was an astronaut who participated in the first U.S. manned space flights, the Mercury program. Unfortunately, there is no yield listed in the recipe, so I guessed at 48 cookies.
- 2 1⁄4 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup butter, at room temperature (or hard stick margarine, softened)
- 1⁄2 cup shortening
- 3⁄4 cup white sugar
- 3⁄4 cup lightly packed brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 eggs
- 1 (12 ounce) package semi-sweet chocolate chips
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350F degrees.
- In a mixing bowl, combine flour, baking soda and salt; set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, with an electric mixer, cream together butter, shortening, sugars and vanilla.
- Add eggs, one at a time, mixing well after each addition.
- Mix in the flour mixture.
- Fold in the chocolate chips.
- Drop spoonfuls onto greased cookie sheets and bake in preheated oven for 10 to 12 minutes, or until golden brown.
- Note from Lennie: I would use parchment paper on the baking sheets instead of greasing them.