Prep 20 mins
Cook 50 mins
Brown Betty's older, non-dyslexic sister.
- 6 ounces mixed brown and white fresh breadcrumbs
- 3 ounces unsalted butter, melted
- 4 large cooking apples (about 1 ½ lb)
- 4 ounces brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄2 lemon, zest and juice
- cream, to serve
- Put the breadcrumbs into a bowl and pour on the melted butter, mixing lightly.
- Peel and core the apples and slice them thinly.
- Mix them with the sugar, cinnamon, lemon zest and juice.
- Butter a 40-ounce pudding basin or casserole dish and put in a thin layer of crumbs, then a layer of apple, then more crumbs, more apples and lastly a layer of crumbs.
- Cover with a sheet of foil.
- Bake at 350°F for 20 minutes, remove the foil and bake for a further 30 minutes, or until the top has browned nicely and the apples are tender.
- Serve hot with cream.
- The apples should have started to caramelize and become transparent and amber-coloured.
yum! the recipe was delicious without the heavy cream but extra special like Miller himself with the cream. How sad that he passed away, but everytime we make one of his recipes he will be remembered fondly.