Prep 20 mins
Cook 30 mins
This recipe actually belongs to a wonderful woman named Annice Grinberg. We met on a cooking list about 10 years ago, and I've admired her recipes on the Internet for years. I actually had a chance to meet her a few years ago, and we discovered that I went to high school with her daughter. Any recipe that has Annice's name on it is a winner, like this one.
- 1 1⁄2 lbs potatoes, peeled and chopped
- 5 cups water
- 1 onion, peeled and chopped
- 1⁄4 lb mushroom
- 1 teaspoon oil
- 1 tablespoon water
- salt and pepper
- 1 cup matzo meal
- 1 teaspoon oil
- Boil the potatoes in the water til tender.
- Drain and mash the potatoes.
- In a separate pan, saute the onions and mushrooms in oil over medium-high heat for three minutes.
- In a large bowl, mix mashed potatoes, sauteed onions and mushrooms, seasonings and matzo meal together.
- Form 10 croquettes.
- Heat oil in a large non-stick frying pan over med-high heat and fry croquettes for 8 minutes on each side.
- Serving size is 2 croquettes per person.
Sounded good in theory, but they were very bland and soaked up way too much oil
The only variation I add is to include 2 tbsp coarse ground honey mustard to the matzo meal [I use breadcrumbs] mix for my own use.
Mirj, we thoroughly enjoyed a variation of this recipe tonight. I bought myself an electric pie maker recently, and made my modified version of this recipe in the pie maker. It was 106Â°F here today and NOT cooking in the oven was a high priority. I followed all your excellent directions, except for adding four cloves of garlic, proportionally more mushrooms and then a can of salmon to the potato/mushroom mixture. At this point I also added some cumin, Greek spice mix and dill. And cooked what were in effect the salmon/ potato/ mushroom patties in the pie maker. So thank you â€“ and Annice â€“ for providing the initial inspiration for my very first dish cooked in my new pie maker! The four of us loved them, we are happy that there are more in the freezer and Iâ€™ll certainly be making these again!