Recipe by Lee_tah
From "Symply Too Good To Be True 3"by Annette Syms. Personally, I find mudcake to be too oily and heavy. But this reduced fat method has won me over. Makes a very satisfiying chocolaty dense cake.
- 125 g dark chocolate, broken into small pieces
- 125 g light margarine
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons instant coffee
- 1 cup water
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 cup applesauce
- 2 egg whites
- 1 1⁄2 cups flour
- 1⁄4 cup cocoa powder
- cooking spray
- 2 tablespoons cocoa powder
- 1 cup icing sugar
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons light margarine
- 1 tablespoon skim milk
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 180°C.
- To make cake: Mix chocolate, margarine, sugar, coffee and water in a microwavable bowl. Microwave on MED-HI for about 2 minutes or until all ingredients are dissolved. Stir every minute.
- Stir together applesauce and baking soda. Add to the melted chocolate along with egg whites. Mix well.
- Sift the flour and cocoa powder, then gently fold in until combined.
- Pour into a 19 cm pan greased with cooking spray.
- Bake 45-50 minutes or until cake springs back when touched. Ice when cool.
- Icing: Mix all ingredients together until smooth.Spread over cake then refrigerate.