Prep 10 mins
Cook 0 mins
My Aunt Anne makes the absolute best macaroni salad. It is a must for all family functions. I've taken her recipe and lightened it for a more healthy diet.
- 1 (8 ounce) box macaroni (cooked, drained and cooled)
- 2 cups 2% cheddar cheese
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes (halved)
- 1 cup cucumber (diced)
- 2 shallots (sliced)
- 1 cup light mayonnaise (I used fat-free)
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1⁄2 cup vinegar
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- Mix vegetables and cheese with macaroni.
- Mix mayo, sugar, vinegar and black pepper.
- Mix dressing with macaroni.
- Allow to sit in fridge for about 30 minutes. This gets better the longer it sits.
This was just okay for us. I followed the recipe exactly, except I left out the cucumbers because we don't like them and added black olives in their place.
This was very good. Not overly sweet like some pasta salads. I left out the cucumbers (personal preference) but otherwise stayed to the recipe. I would make this again.
We liked this ALOT! I have never used shallots for anything before and these gave it a nice flavor w/o being too overpowering like you might get w/ onions! Also, I used whole wheat pasta. I will definately make this again. Thanks for a great recipe, MsSally!