1/1 Photo of Anne's Liniment Cake - Anne of Green Gables
Diana #2's Note:
Taken from "The Anne of Green Gables Cookbook", written by Lucy Maud Montgomery's granddaughter Kate Macdonald. I am posting this as it appears in the original book, which was written as a tribute to her father Stuart Macdonald (Montgomery's son). The recipes were written with precise instructions, geared for young cooks. All recipes were apparently tested by a 12 year old cook, with perfect results. Quote from the book: "Here's the cake Anne really meant to make. Be sure you use vanilla - not anodyne liniment!" Other recipes are available in a cookbook prepared by chef #756627 - book #243014 *NOTE*: Posting to add to the cookbook. I have not personally made this recipe. April 2011 - The servings has been changed from 8 to 16, as suggested by Caybaybay. :)
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Equipment You Will Need:.
- 22 - 9 inch round cake pans.
- 4large mixing bowl.
- 5measuring cups.
- 6measuring spoons.
- 7wooden spoon.
- 8electric mixer.
- 9small bowl.
- 10rubber spatula.
- 122 cooling racks.
- 13oven mitts.
- 14metal spatula.
- 16Grease and flour the cake pans. Pre-heat the oven to 350*F.
- 17Measure out the sifted four, baking powder, salt and sugar and mix together in the large bowl.
- 18Add the melted butter and the milk to the flour mixture and stir with the wooden spoon.
- 19Beat the mixture for 1 minute with the electric mixer.
- 20Break the eggs into the small bowl. add them with the vanilla to the cake batter, then beat with the mixer for another 3 minutes, constantly scraping down the sides of the bowl with the rubber spatula.
- 21Pour the cake batter evenly into the two cake pans. Bake for 25 - 30 minutes.
- 22Test the cakes with a toothpick. When they are done, use oven mitts to take them from the oven. Let them cool in the pans for 10 minutes.
- 23Slide the blade of the metal spatula around the edges of the cakes to loosen them from the pans.
- 24Place one of the cakes on a cooling rack. Place a second cooling rack on top. Hold the two racks together and flip the whole thing over. The cake is now upside-down on the rack.
- 25Gently lift off the pan and transfer your cake to a plate. Repeat with the other cake.
- 26Let the two layers cool completely before frosting.
Browse Our Top < 60 Mins Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All < 60 Mins Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Anne's Liniment Cake - Anne of Green Gables
Serving Size: 1 (64 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 16
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 193.3
- Calories from Fat 66
- Total Fat 7.3 g
- Saturated Fat 4.3 g
- Cholesterol 52.2 mg
- Sodium 140.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 28.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.4 g
- Sugars 15.7 g
- Protein 3.3 g