Prep 20 mins
Cook 10 mins
As the title indicates, I got this recipe from a good friend of mine, Anne. It is very quick and easy to make and really tasty, too. It's great for potlucks or brunch buffets (the recipe can be multiplied easily). I know there are many pasta salads on zaar already, but I think this one is just a little different. I hope you enjoy! Note: 250 g = 9oz; 200 g = 7oz
- 250 g pasta (such as spiral shaped ones, rigatoni or other short varieties)
- 200 g peas (either frozen and prepared or canned)
- 200 g carrots, chopped
- 1 medium apple, diced
- 2 tomatoes, diced
- 3 gherkins, diced
For the sauce
- 250 g yoghurt (creamy works really well, but low-fat is ok, too)
- 1 teaspoon dried basil or 1 tablespoon fresh basil
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 tablespoon fresh dill weed
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon prepared mustard
- freshly ground salt and black pepper
- Prepare pasta according to package directions. Make sure to splash it with cold water after draining it, so that the cooking process stops and your pasta wont get soggy.
- To make the salad:.
- Combine all the veggies and mix with the pasta in a big serving bowl.
- For the dressing:.
- Mix all ingredients and stir until well blended. Season to taste.
- Pour over pasta and veggies and toss to coat.
- Allow flavours to blend some hours prior to serving (you dont have to do this, but it intenisfies the flavours).
- Serve sprinkeld with some fresh herbs and some nice crusty bread.
I chose this recipe for the dressing because I'm always looking for alternatives to mayo for pasta salad. I made it with tricolored rotini, peas and tomatoes, plus diced red onion and green pepper--no apples, carrots or gherkins. The dressing is stupendous. I love the combination of herbs and the lemon juice plus mustard lend it a nice bite. Will definitely make again.
horrible. Served this for a picnic and had most of it untouched! Carrots apples and peas and gherkins DO NOT go well together. I thought I would try it b/c I am open to new flavor combos but this was just awful. Sorry to be so harsh but no one liked it. I will never try something again to serve relying on the ratings - not my taste at all.
Very interesting and tasty pasta salad! Such an unusual combination of ingredients with the addition of apples and pickles. The dressing was a bit tangy for my taste so I added just a touch of sugar. As the directions state, it's important to make the salad a couple of hours ahead so the flavors have time to blend. Thanks for posting this recipe!