This is a good all purpose chocolate frosting. It comes from the Anne of Green Gables cookbook by Kate Mac Donald.
- Put 2 inches of water in the bottom of a double boiler.
- Add the chocolate chips and vegetable shortening to the top of double boiler.
- Allow the chocolate and shortening to melt.
- Stir in the sugar a little at a time.
- Add the milk.
- Remove the top pot from the heat.
- Beat frosting with the electric mixer until it is thick and creamy--about 5 minutes.
- With a metal spatula or knife, spread about 1/3 of the frosting between the two layers and use the rest to cover the top and sided of the cake.
Excellent! Dense and fudgy. I only added a tad more milk to make it more spreadable.
Awesome, exactly the type of icing I was looking for!
Great and easy old-fashioned tasting chcocolate icing. I love the simplicity of the few ingredients. I used this to frost a Boston Creme Pie Cake and there were more raves for the icing than the cake itself. Plus, anything endorsed by Anne-with-an-"e" is alright by me. :) Thank you!