Prep 1 hr
Cook 35 mins
This recipe is the Anne of Green Gables Cookbook, by Kate MacDonald. This the excerpt from the book that inspired this recipe: "I just grow cold when I think of my layer cake. Oh, Diana, what if it shouldn't be good! I dreamed last night that I was chases all around by a fearful goblin with a big layer cake for a head." -Anne of Green Gables
- 1 3⁄4 cups sfted all-purpose flour
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 1⁄2 cups sugar
- 4 ounces unsweetened chocolate
- 1 cup milk
- 3⁄4 cup melted butter
- 3 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Grease and flour 2 9-inch round cake pans.
- In a small saucepan boil a little water--about 1 cup.
- Set a samll mixing bowl over the boiling water and add the chocolate.
- Turn the heat to low and melt the chocolate.
- Remove the bowl and let it cool.
- Measure the sifted flour, soda, baking powder, salt, and sugar to a large mixing bowl.
- Mix dry ingredients together.
- Add chocolate, milk, and melted butter to the flour mixture.
- Mix together then beat for 1 minute with electric mixer.
- Add eggs and vanilla to the cake batter and mix another 3 minutes with the mixer constantly scraping down the sides with an rubber spatula.
- pour cake batter into prepared pans, dividing evenly.
- Bake for 30 to 35 minutes.
- Test cake with a toothpick.
- when the cake layers are done remove from the oven and let cool in the pans for 10 minutes.
- Remove from pans onto a cooling rack and let cool completely before frosting.
- Frost with Chocolate Fudge frosting.
This cake has an old fashion feel and taste; the chocolate is not over powering. There were no changes or adjustments to the recipe. I made Anne's Chocolate Fudge Frosting to go with the cake. In addition, I served whipped cream and strawberries and the kids wanted the whipped cream over the cake so donâ€™t let that put you off in the photo;) Get a big glass of milk and enjoy. I think Ann Shirley would be proud, and I proudly made this for the cake-a-thon in honor of Chef I Am.
I had no idea there was a cookbook related to this series.. I am so delighted. Thanks for sharing!