1 hr 20 mins
Lorraine of AZ's Note:
This recipe is not found on the Food Network where Anne demonstrates her cooking skills, but in her new cookbook "Cook Like a Rock Star." I really like Anne's show(s). She is funny but she really gets her points across. This recipe sounds great to me, so I am putting it here for safe-keeping.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- olive oil, extra virgin
- 6 slices bacon, cut crosswise into 1/2-inch strips
- 3 tablespoons butter, unsalted
- 1 onion, cut in 1/4-inch dice
- kosher salt, as needed
- 1/2 cup flour
- 1 quart whole milk, plus more as needed
- 1 lb pasta shells or 1 lb other short pasta
- 2 cups cheddar cheese, freshly grated
- 2 cups Fontina cheese, freshly grated
- 1 cup parmesan cheese, freshly grated
- 1/4 cup Dijon mustard
- Tabasco sauce, to taste
- 1Drizzle a bit of olive oil in a large saucepan. Add bacon and bring to medium heat. Stir bacon occasionally. When crisp and brown (6-8 minutes) remove bacon from pan. Drain. Do not discard bacon fat!
- 2Add butter and onion to pan with the fat. Season with salt and cook till onions are soft and aromatic (8-10 minutes). Add flour and cook stirring 4-5 minutes. Slowly whisk in the milk, season with salt. Bring to boil, reduce heat and simmer on low heat 8-10 minutes more.
- 3In the meantime, bring a pot of well-salted water to a boil. Add pasta and cook 1 minute less than the package directions stipulate. Drain and reserve.
- 4Add the three cheeses to the milk mixture and whisk to combine. Add mustard and Tabasco; taste and adjust seasonings. If mixture is too thick, add more milk. Stir in bacon and pasta. Mixture should be very creamy and flavorful. Serve immediately or transfer to a baking dish or ramekins and reheat in a 375 degree oven.
Browse Our Top Cheese Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Cheese Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Anne Burrell's Killer Mac and Cheese
Serving Size: 1 (287 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 884.6
- Calories from Fat 403
- Total Fat 44.7 g
- Saturated Fat 25.8 g
- Cholesterol 132.9 mg
- Sodium 1087.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 76.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.3 g
- Sugars 12.0 g
- Protein 42.7 g