Count Chocula's Note:
I saw this show on Food Network and it looked so good when Chef Anne made it!!! Food Network.com
My Private Note
pot chi ...
Units: US | Metric
- olive oil, as needed
- 1 (4 -5 lb) roasting chickens, cut into 8 to 10 pieces
- kosher salt
- 2 large onions, sliced
- 1 pinch crushed red pepper flakes
- 4 garlic cloves, smashed and finely chopped
- 1 red pepper, cut into 1/2-inch dice
- 1 yellow pepper, cut into 1/2-inch dice
- 1 lb cremini mushroom, cleaned and sliced
- 2 cups dry white wine
- 2 (28 ounce) cans Italian plum tomatoes, passed through the food mill (or pureed )
- 1 bunch thyme
- 3 bay leaves
- 1Coat a large, wide pot with olive oil and bring to a high heat. Season the chicken with salt and brown in the hot oil, working in batches, if needed. Once all the chicken is brown, remove to a plate and discard most of the excess fat.
- 2If needed to coat the bottom of the pan, add a tablespoon of olive oil. Add the onions and crushed red pepper, season with salt, and sweat over low heat for 8 to 10 minutes. Add the garlic and sweat for 1 to 2 minutes. Add the peppers and cook until they are soft, about 2 to 3 minutes. Add the mushrooms, season with salt and cook until they are soft. Add the white wine and reduce by half.
- 3Return the chicken to the pan and add the tomatoes; taste for seasoning. Add the thyme bundle and bay leaves. Bring the liquid to a boil and reduce to a simmer. Partially cover the pot and simmer for 20 to 30 minutes. Check the level of the sauce periodically during the cooking process and replenish it with water as needed; the level of liquid should be about even with the chicken.
- 4Remove the chicken from the pot and place it on a pretty serving platter. Taste the sauce for seasoning, adjust if needed. Skim the surface of the sauce if excessively greasy. Spoon the sauce over the chicken. Tastes like chicken!
Browse Our Top Chicken Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Anne Burrell's Chicken Cacciatore
Serving Size: 1 (716 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 1231.1
- Calories from Fat 658
- Total Fat 73.1 g
- Saturated Fat 20.8 g
- Cholesterol 331.4 mg
- Sodium 345.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 36.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 7.5 g
- Sugars 18.0 g
- Protein 85.8 g
The following items or measurements are not included: