Prep 5 mins
Cook 5 mins
Also called Achiote Oil. Annatto seed (poor man's saffron) is used to color food. It's from South America. The golden-yellow oil is used to fry or marinade vegetables or meat. Which results in a bright orange surface. In Vietnam, batters are often prepared with annatto oil to achieve a more attractive color.
- Heat seeds and oil over medium-high heat for 3 to 5 minutes, until the oil takes on a deep golden color.
- Watch for spattering as the oil heats. DO not overheat.
- Remove from heat and allow to cool for 4 hours.
- Strain and discard seeds and pour into a glass container.
- Keeps for up to 1 month in refrigerator, or 4-5 days at room temperature.
I made this as a component of A Golden Chicken. Simple to make, and can be used as part of so many other recipes. Very nice color, too. Thanks for posting! Made for ZWT4
This makes for a lovely coloured oil witch is oh so lightly flavoured. I made it to use with Rita's Golden Garlic Potatoes Reviewed for ZWT3
Very pretty color and interesting flavor. Went great on Rita's Golden Chicken. Cant wait to try it in different recipes.