1 hr 10 mins
Jezebella Rains's Note:
A great, spruced up, version of the old classic. This sauce can be made with what ever type of Riesling wine you prefer. Also you can substitute ground pork, veal, chicken, turkey or any combination of ground meat for the beef.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 4 medium vine-ripe tomatoes, cut into 1 inch pieces
- 2 1/2 cups grape tomatoes, cut in 4 's
- 1/8 cup olive oil
- 2 -3 small fresh garlic cloves, minced
- 1/3 cup riesling wine
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1 (28 ounce) can crushed tomatoes
- 1 (6 ounce) can plain tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon dried basil or 2 teaspoons fresh basil
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano or 2 teaspoons fresh oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon dried tarragon
- 1/4-1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon crush red pepper flakes (more if desired)
- 1 cup riesling wine
- 16 ounces fresh portabella mushrooms, sliced
- 3 tablespoons fresh snipped parsley (optional)
- 2 lbs ground beef
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 1/2 teaspoons fennel seeds
- 1 1/4 teaspoons dried Italian seasoning
- 1 1/2 cups fresh white breadcrumbs (about 4 slices of white bread made into crumbs using a food possessor)
- 1 dash fresh ground black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 large garlic clove
- 1 large egg
- 1/3 cup diced onion (optional)
- 1/4 teaspoon tarragon
- 1For Sauce:.
- 2In a large pot, over medium heat add olive oil and fresh garlic. Sauté for 2-3 minutes until translucent, do not brown.
- 3Add tomatoes add wine, garlic powder salt and pepper and cook, stirring occasionally for about 5-8 minutes until tomatoes have softened and broken down.
- 4Add can tomatoes, tomato paste, sugar, dried or fresh herbs, the rest of the garlic, and red pepper flakes.
- 5Reduce heat and simmer for about 20 minutes. Add the remaining cup of wine and meatballs (see recipe below) then continue to simmer for 15 minutes.
- 6Add mushrooms and parsley and continue to cook for 10 more minutes until mushrooms are done.
- 7Serve with desired cooked pasta.
- 8For Meatballs:.
- 9This can either be made in a food processor or by hand with fork or clean, bare hands. The 1st recipe is for the food processor.
- 10Add all ingredients except olive oil and fennel seeds into a food processor and pulse until all combined.
- 11Stir in fennel seeds. Form meat into 1 ½ inch meat balls.
- 12In a pan over medium-high heat add olive oil and meat balls, one at a time, to hot oil and brown on all sides.
- 13Drain oil.
- 14For doing it with a fork or by hand:.
- 15In a large bowl add all ingredients, except olive oil and stir with fork or clean hands until combined.
- 16Form in to 1 ½ inch meat balls.
- 17In a pan over medium-high heat add olive oil and meat balls, one at a time, to hot oil and brown on all sides.
- 18Drain oil.
Browse Our Top Vegetable Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Vegetable Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Anna's Uber Spaghetti With Meatballs
Serving Size: 1 (474 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 645.8
- Calories from Fat 345
- Total Fat 38.3 g
- Saturated Fat 11.2 g
- Cholesterol 138.0 mg
- Sodium 908.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 32.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 6.6 g
- Sugars 13.5 g
- Protein 35.8 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
dried Italian seasoning