Recipe by Nanita
I orignally found this on verybestbaking.com (posted by M.Mauch). My grandmother was looking for an easy recipe for tres leches. This has become one of her most requested cakes. It's very rich, very moist, and very delicious. Serve it cold from the fridge or bring to room temperature before serving. Prep and Cooking times include waiting for the syrup to soak in and chilling the finished cake.
Top Review by Chef Mom0'3
This is my favorite tres leches cake I have tried! I love the shortcut of using the cake mix, and no one can ever tell! I used french vanilla cake mix as was suggested by another user and preferred that to white or yellow cake (I've made it all 3 ways). I used a teaspoon of rum extract in the filling and it is much better with it than without. Used a large tub of cool whip on top on which I put caramel sauce in lines across the cake and pulled a knife through to create a feathered pattern. I make this cake to celebrate a coworkers birthday, All of the men (even ones that don't like sweets) LOVE this cake, it seems to be a guy thing lol!
- 1 (18 ounce) box yellow cake mix
- 1 (3 1/2 ounce) package vanilla instant pudding mix
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1 cup canola oil
- 4 large eggs
- 1 (12 ounce) can evaporated milk
- 1 (14 ounce) can sweetened condensed milk
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 tablespoon rum, if desired
- non-dairy whipped topping (We use Rich's On Top, but 2 8 oz tubs of Cool Whip will also work)
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat oven to 350. Spray 9x13 pan generously with vegetable oil spray.
- Blend cake mix, pudding mix, whole milk, oil and eggs in a large bowl with an electric mixer on low for 1 minute.
- Stop mixer and scrape down the sides of the bowl.
- Increase mixer speed to medium and beat 2 minutes more, scraping the sides of the bowl as needed.
- Pour batter into prepared pan.
- Bake for 32 to 34 minutes until golden brown.
- Remove from oven and cool for 2 hours on wire rack in the pan.
- After the cake is cooled, poke holes all over the top of the cake with a fork. The more holes the better.
- Whisk together evaporated and condensed milks, heavy cream, vanilla and rum.
- Spoon milk syrup mixture over the top of the cake, stopping to allow syrup to soak in each time. Continue until all syrup has been used. It seems like too much, but it's not.
- Cover cake with plastic wrap and chill for at least 2 hours.
- Top with whipped topping before serving.