Prep 30 mins
Cook 3 hrs
This is a favorite recipe of mine since the 1950's. It was in a couple of editions of Joy of Cooking in the 50s and 60s, but alas is no longer. Feel free to add more sour cream if you like.
- Combine water, 1 onion, carrot, and celery in pan and bring to boil.
- Add short ribs and simmer until nearly tender, about 2 hours.
- Remove meat to warm dish and strain stock.
- Make thin gravy with 3°C of the strained stock, 4T. fat, and 4 T. flour.
- In heavy deep skillet, heat remaining 4T. fat and saute the second sliced onion. When onion is done, brown meat in hot fat.
- pour 1/2 of the gravy over the meat in the skillet and place it in 325 degree oven until brown and crisp (about 45 minutes).
- Reheat the remaining gravy and add sour cream if desired.
- Place meat on hot platter, pouring the remaining gravy around it. Serve with noodles or mashed potatoes.