Recipe by AB_Fan
From Delectably Danish by Julie Jensen McDonald. Time for dough to rise is not included in prep time. Number of Servings is a guestimate.
- 2 cups milk
- 2 tablespoons shortening
- 1⁄2 cup brown sugar
- 2 cups rye flour
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 2 compressed yeast cakes (dissolved in .5 cup warm water)
- 6 cups white flour (approximately)
Directions See How It's Made
- Scald milk, add shortening, and then add brown sugar.
- Add rye flour, salt, and yeast.
- Add approximately 6 cups white flour, enough to make a stiff dough.
- Let rise until doubled, about 3 hours.
- Knead and form into two loaves.
- Bake at 425 degrees F for 15 min, then at 325 degrees F for 35 minute.