Recipe by Normaone
I do not know Anna personally, but I was given this recipe by a friend of hers who is a food critic for a local newspaper. It is not a classic souffle but more of a custard that bakes around a puffy filo. It is perfect for brunch, lunch or a light supper.
- 4 sheets filo pastry
- 3 tablespoons butter, melted,for brushing filo
- 3⁄4 cup shredded gruyere or 3⁄4 cup swiss cheese
- 3 eggs
- 1 cup milk
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon white pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Stack the Filo horizontally on your work surface, brushing each sheet lightly with melted butter as you stack.
- Sprinkle the cheese over the bottom third of the Filo.
- Roll up the Filo very loosely, jelly-roll style.
- Coil the roll loosely in a greased 1-quart souffle' dish.
- Brush the coil with butter.
- If desired, cover and chill the dish up to 8 hours.
- Preheat the oven to 350^F.
- In a bowl, beat the eggs lightly.
- Stir in the milk, salt and pepper.
- Pour the mixture over the Filo and into the center of the dish.
- Bake the souffle', uncovered for 30 to 35 minutes or until the top of the filo is golden, and a knife inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Serve the souffle' warm.