Recipe by justcallmetoni
Wanted to try Spice Islands Hot Chocolate but needed a way to make the calories and fat work out a bit more in my favor. Though keeping some of the chocolate makes this a wee bit of an indulgence, it certainly makes this a better option for low fat folks like me or diabetics. Have not tried the original, but I think this captures the it's flavors. Thank you Annacia for sharing your recipe and helping to create this one. :)
- 56.69 g unsweetened chocolate
- 29.58 ml cocoa
- 946.36 ml skim milk
- 14.79 ml non-fat powdered milk (optional)
- 177.44 ml evaporated skim milk
- 2.46 ml ground nutmeg
- 2.46 ml ground cinnamon
- 1.23 ml ground allspice
- 4.92 ml vanilla extract
- 2.46 ml almond extract
- 118.29 ml Splenda granular
- 118.29 ml Cool Whip Free, for garnish
Directions See How It's Made
- Melt chocolate in 1 cup of skim milk, over low heat, stirring constantly.
- Whisk in the nonfat powdered dry milk breaking up any bumps. (Not required but it gives the milk a little more body.).
- Gradually add remaining milk, and the spices.
- Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until completely heated. Add in the extracts and Splenda.
- Serve topped with Cool Whip Free and sprinkled with additional nutmeg.