Prep 5 mins
Cook 3 mins
Wanted to try Spice Islands Hot Chocolate but needed a way to make the calories and fat work out a bit more in my favor. Though keeping some of the chocolate makes this a wee bit of an indulgence, it certainly makes this a better option for low fat folks like me or diabetics. Have not tried the original, but I think this captures the it's flavors. Thank you Annacia for sharing your recipe and helping to create this one. :)
- 56.69 g unsweetened chocolate
- 29.58 ml cocoa
- 946.36 ml skim milk
- 14.79 ml non-fat powdered milk (optional)
- 177.44 ml evaporated skim milk
- 2.46 ml ground nutmeg
- 2.46 ml ground cinnamon
- 1.23 ml ground allspice
- 4.92 ml vanilla extract
- 2.46 ml almond extract
- 118.29 ml Splenda granular
- 118.29 ml Cool Whip Free, for garnish
- Melt chocolate in 1 cup of skim milk, over low heat, stirring constantly.
- Whisk in the nonfat powdered dry milk breaking up any bumps. (Not required but it gives the milk a little more body.).
- Gradually add remaining milk, and the spices.
- Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until completely heated. Add in the extracts and Splenda.
- Serve topped with Cool Whip Free and sprinkled with additional nutmeg.
This was so yummy! And so decadent. Now I have to look up the original to see what the difference is? Made as a thank you for hosting the Summer Spectacular!
This is so good. I love the combination of spices. It's so warm and comforting. Thanks for sharing! Made for Gimme 5 tag.
It's just as delightful as the original without the guilt as said. If calories aren't an issue for you then, by all means, do try the original recipe but if your watching your intake you can't go wrong with this lighter version. It's wonderful chocolate, spice (I did double the cinnamon but thats just me and something I just to routinely with pretty much any recipe) and warmth in a cup :D.