1 hr 15 mins
Call it a cake or a quick bread, either way it's different and delicious. I adapted another of my recipes (Honey Spice Cake) to come up with this flavorful loaf. You will need to make Zany Zesty North Africa/Middle East Spice Mix #428327 (I skipped the sugar and salt in it) for the spice used in this, it doesn't take more than 5 mins and that included gathering the ingredients onto the counter and it is what makes this recipe what it is. Get ready to enjoy the wonderful baking aroma!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3785.44 ml all-purpose flour
- 98.58 ml mixed spice (Zany Zesty North Africa/Middle East Spice Mix #428327, may use less if you like a milder spice flavor)
- 39.43 ml baking soda
- 19.71 ml baking powder
- 29.57 ml salt
- 1892.72 ml chopped dried apricot (softened)
- 946.36 ml liquid honey
- 946.36 ml granulated sugar (I used Splenda)
- 946.36 ml vegetable oil, plus
- 236.64 ml vegetable oil
- 24 large eggs
- 946.36 ml boiling apricot water (from softening the apricots)
- 1Place apricots in a small pan with just enough water to cover. Bring to boil, reduce heat and simmer for a couple of minutes Set aside to cool enough to be able to handle then drain them saving the apricot water.
- 2Chop when cool enough, you need 1 cup. Save 1/2 a cup of the drained water or add enough water to make a 1/2 cup if it's short.
- 3Preheat oven to 350°F . Butter and flour a 9 x 5 x 3-inch metal loaf pan.
- 4Stir first 5 ingredients together in medium bowl to blend and make a well.
- 5Add the well drained and chopped apricots and mix to coat the arpicots.
- 6In another bowl whisk together honey, sugar, oil and eggs in large bowl until blended, about 3 minutes. You can do this with a mixer if you wish but if the honey flows easilt it's very easy by hand and saves getting the mixer out.
- 7Microwave the saved water to bring to a boil.
- 8Pour into the dry ingredients and fold just enough to start getting it mixed.
- 9Add in 1/2 cup boiling water and continue folding until almost fully mixed. It's ok to have some dry flour or some small lumps.
- 10Transfer batter to prepared pan.
- 11Bake until loaf is brown and tester inserted into center comes out clean, about 40-45 minutes.
- 12Cool in pan 10 minutes.
- 13Turn out onto rack. Wrap warm cake in foil and store at room temperature until used up.
Browse Our Top Quick Breads Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Annacias North Africa/Middle East Apricot and Honey Loaf
Serving Size: 1 (1065 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 3545.2
- Calories from Fat 1382
- Total Fat 153.5 g
- Saturated Fat 22.7 g
- Cholesterol 558.0 mg
- Sodium 3426.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 513.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 16.5 g
- Sugars 309.7 g
- Protein 49.5 g
The following items or measurements are not included: