Recipe by Annacia
Call it a cake or a quick bread, either way it's different and delicious. I adapted another of my recipes (Honey Spice Cake) to come up with this flavorful loaf. You will need to make Zany Zesty North Africa/Middle East Spice Mix #428327 (I skipped the sugar and salt in it) for the spice used in this, it doesn't take more than 5 mins and that included gathering the ingredients onto the counter and it is what makes this recipe what it is. Get ready to enjoy the wonderful baking aroma!
Top Review by Elmotoo
How can I be the first to review??? My rating is actually 4.5...after 45 minutes it wasn't cooked. I had to take it out to raise the heat for another dish so it sunk :( But once the other dish was done, i put this loaf back in the oven with the heat turned off where it sat for (awhile). The end result was kinda flat with a sunken middle but OH MY HOLY CRIPES AHOY!!! This was *supposed* to be breakfast tomorrow & the next day. I hope there's enough left for tomorrow. The kids had theirs in a bowl with ice cream. Mine, as usual, was buttered. Happily, the apricots stayed dispersed. I used a full TB of the spice mix which i made using the salt & sugar. I did cut back a wee bit on the salt in the recipe. I don't think it would matter much. the spice mix adds a lovely flavor!! Too bad I can't review that recipe. ;) I used the rest of the spice mix on some chicken for dinner. Worked out well! Delicious recipe ~ I've been wanting to make this for MONTHS. So happy I *finally* did it!! Thank you, A!! xoxo Bethie
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 1⁄2 teaspoons mixed spice (Zany Zesty North Africa/Middle East Spice Mix #428327, may use less if you like a milder spice flavor)
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking powder
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup chopped dried apricot (softened)
- 1⁄2 cup liquid honey
- 1⁄2 cup granulated sugar (I used Splenda)
- 1⁄2 cup vegetable oil, plus
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 3 large eggs
- 1⁄2 cup boiling apricot water (from softening the apricots)
Directions See How It's Made
- Place apricots in a small pan with just enough water to cover. Bring to boil, reduce heat and simmer for a couple of minutes Set aside to cool enough to be able to handle then drain them saving the apricot water.
- Chop when cool enough, you need 1 cup. Save 1/2 a cup of the drained water or add enough water to make a 1/2 cup if it's short.
- Preheat oven to 350°F . Butter and flour a 9 x 5 x 3-inch metal loaf pan.
- Stir first 5 ingredients together in medium bowl to blend and make a well.
- Add the well drained and chopped apricots and mix to coat the arpicots.
- In another bowl whisk together honey, sugar, oil and eggs in large bowl until blended, about 3 minutes. You can do this with a mixer if you wish but if the honey flows easilt it's very easy by hand and saves getting the mixer out.
- Microwave the saved water to bring to a boil.
- Pour into the dry ingredients and fold just enough to start getting it mixed.
- Add in 1/2 cup boiling water and continue folding until almost fully mixed. It's ok to have some dry flour or some small lumps.
- Transfer batter to prepared pan.
- Bake until loaf is brown and tester inserted into center comes out clean, about 40-45 minutes.
- Cool in pan 10 minutes.
- Turn out onto rack. Wrap warm cake in foil and store at room temperature until used up.