Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
One of the best recipes for lemon meringue pie! If you want a sky-high meringue, like the ones you see in bakery's, just use 6 egg whites (save yolks for another recipe), and double the sugar....I just use the same amount of cornstarch/water mixture when I use 6 egg whites. Prep time does not include making the meringue/cornstarch mixture. I have even made this pie using a graham cracker crust (the graham crust goes very well if topping with whip cream or Cool Whip), also if you prefer a very tart lemon pie add in another 2-3 tablespoons of fresh lemon juice. I most always prepare the crust and then fill with the filling the night before and let it thicken in the fridge overnight then top with the meringue the following day. Also in place of the meringue, I have many times topped it with Cool Whip or whipped cream, it it excellent that way also. Which ever way you choose to make it, it is a wonderful lemon pie recipe. *NOTE* if you are worried about scorching the bottom of the pan, then you can also make the filling in the microwave, here's how...in a large 8-cup microwave-safe bowl whisk together the sugar and cornstarch, add in all the remaining ingredients whisk to combine and microwave on HIGH for about 8 minutes (might take longer or less time) removing three times to whisk, make certain to cook the filling until hot, bubbly and thickened, then add in the 2 tsp vinegar and 3 tablespoons butter, this method works well and no scorched pans!
- 1 baked and cooled 9 inch pie shell (my butter pie crust Kittencal's No-Fail Buttery Flaky Pie Pastry/Crust works great!)
- 314.66 ml sugar
- 88.74 ml cornstarch
- 473.18 ml cold water
- 78.07 ml freshly-squeezed lemon juice (if you like an extreme lemon taste then add in a couple more tablespoons lemon juice)
- 3 egg yolks
- 7.39 ml lemon extract
- 0.26-0.32 ml yellow food coloring (optional but looks better!)
- 9.85 ml vinegar
- 44.37 ml butter
- 14.79 ml cornstarch
- 29.58 ml cold water
- 118.29 ml boiling water
- 3 egg whites
- 103.53 ml sugar
- 4.92 ml vanilla
- 0.25 ml salt
- In a double boiler, or a heavy bottomed saucepan, mix sugar and cornstarch together; add in the 2 cups COLD water.
- In a small cup/bowl,combine the egg yolks with lemon juice, and the yellow food colouring; whisk until well mixed.
- Add to the sugar cornstarch mixture; whisk until mixed.
- Cook and mix/whisk until mixture thickens (about 6-7 minutes, do not over-boil mixture or it will not set properly), if you are making in a saucepan, be careful not to scorch the bottom of the pan, a double-boiler is definitely recommended for this.
- Remove from heat.
- Add/mix in the lemon extract, butter and vinegar; stir thoroughly.
- Pour the lemon mixture into cooled pie shell; set aside to make meringue.
- To make meringue:.
- Blend/whisk the cornstarch and cold water in a small saucepan.
- Add in boiling water, and cook, stirring until clear and thickened.
- Let mixture stand until COMPLETELY COLD.
- With an electric mixer at high speed, beat the egg whites until foamy.
- Gradually add in sugar, and beat until stiff but not dry.
- Turn mixer to low speed; add in pinch salt and vanilla.
- Gradually beat in the cold cornstarch mixture.
- Turn mixer again to high; beat well.
- Spread/pile meringue over cooled pie filling, making certain to seal the meringue to the baked crust.
- Set oven to 350°F, and bake for 10 minutes, or until the meringue is lightly browned.