Recipe by Cookin In Texas
I got a lot of these. I bought tons of recipe boxes from an auction. They are all hand written cards. I just love celebrity recipes.
- 1⁄3 cup lemon juice
- 1 1⁄4 cups granulated sugar
- 6 tablespoons cornstarch
- 2 cups water
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons lemon extract
- 3 egg yolks
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 2 teaspoons vinegar
- 1 (9 inch) baked pie crusts
Never Fail Meringue
- 1⁄2 cup boiling water
- 6 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons cold water
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 3 egg whites
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Directions See How It's Made
- Mix sugar and cornstarch together in the top of a double boiler.
- Add the two cups of water. And combine the egg yolks with the lemon juice and beat until mixed well.
- Add to the rest of the sugar mix.
- Cook over boiling water until thick around 25 minutes.
- Now add the lemon extract, butter and vinegar and stir thoroughly.
- Pour mixture into a deep 9-inch pie shell, and let cool.
- Cover with meringue, and brown in oven.
- Mix cornstarch and water in a saucepan.
- Add the boiling water and cook stirring until thickened.
- Let sit until cold.
- With electric mixer on high speed, beat the egg whites until foamy.
- Slowly add sugar, and beat until stiff.
- Lower mixer speed then add salt and vanilla extract.
- Gradually beat in cold cornstarch mixture.
- Turn mixer back up to high and beat well. Spread meringue over cooled pie filling. Bake at 350°F for 10 minutes or until top is lightly browned.