Prep 30 mins
Cook 55 mins
A yummy apple pie with a crumb topping.
Make and share this Anme's Apple Crumb Pie recipe from Food.com.
- 1 1⁄4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup shortening, very cold
- 2 tablespoons very cold water
- 5 -6 cups apples, peeled, cored, sliced very thin
- 1⁄3 cup white sugar
- 1⁄2 tablespoon flour
- 3⁄4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄4-1⁄2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1⁄2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 cup brown sugar, packed
- 3 tablespoons butter
- Mix flour and salt.
- With a pastry blender or two knifes cut in the cold shortening until it looks like crumbs.
- Sprinkle cold water over flour.
- Toss mixture with a fork to combine.
- Add more water if needed.
- Gently gather dough together into a ball and wrap in plastic wrap.
- Chill in refrigerator for at least 30 minutes.
- Roll dough and place into a 9 inch pie plate.
- PIE FILLING:.
- Mix apples, 1/3 cup sugar, flour, cinnamon and nutmeg together in a bowl then place in unbaked pie crust. (Note: Lately I sometimes I add an egg wash to the crust to make it more crispy but the pie is equally as good without).
- Mix 1/2 cup flour and 1/2 cup brown sugar together in a bowl.
- Cut in butter until mixture is crumbly.
- Sprinkle topping mixture over apples.
- Cover top loosely with aluminum foil.
- Bake at 375 Degrees Fahrenheit for 25 minutes.
- Remove foil and bake 25 to 30 more minutes, until top is golden brown.
- Cool on a wire rack.
My daughter Teresa followed this recipe to make her first pie. It was delicious; she did a great job and the recipe was perfect! The crust was very flaky. She used gala apples because it's what we had on hand. I'm proud of her! Thanks for the recipe!
My husband adored this pie, as did my other Thanksgiving guests. I will absolutely make this again very soon!
This was my first apple pie I ever made. I admit I used pre-made pie crust but everything else was very easy! the first pie I made, I dont think it was smart for me to bake it as directed. I guess all ovens are different. The crumb topping was very hard and I wasn't thrilled. Then, I made it again last night! what a difference. I used Baldwin Apples for both pies. It was the apples my kids picked from our local orchard trees so I had to use them. I decided to cook the apple pie on 350 for 30 min round one and then same temp for another 25 min. I also doubled the crumb topping recipe and it came out much much better! I guess crumb toppings are supposed to be a little firm? I personally like mine soft, but maybe it can't get any softer? thanks for posting! it truly was a great pie!