Recipe by anme
A yummy apple pie with a crumb topping.
Top Review by HisPixie
My daughter Teresa followed this recipe to make her first pie. It was delicious; she did a great job and the recipe was perfect! The crust was very flaky. She used gala apples because it's what we had on hand. I'm proud of her! Thanks for the recipe!
- 1 1⁄4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup shortening, very cold
- 2 tablespoons very cold water
- 5 -6 cups apples, peeled, cored, sliced very thin
- 1⁄3 cup white sugar
- 1⁄2 tablespoon flour
- 3⁄4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄4-1⁄2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1⁄2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 cup brown sugar, packed
- 3 tablespoons butter
Directions See How It's Made
- Mix flour and salt.
- With a pastry blender or two knifes cut in the cold shortening until it looks like crumbs.
- Sprinkle cold water over flour.
- Toss mixture with a fork to combine.
- Add more water if needed.
- Gently gather dough together into a ball and wrap in plastic wrap.
- Chill in refrigerator for at least 30 minutes.
- Roll dough and place into a 9 inch pie plate.
- PIE FILLING:.
- Mix apples, 1/3 cup sugar, flour, cinnamon and nutmeg together in a bowl then place in unbaked pie crust. (Note: Lately I sometimes I add an egg wash to the crust to make it more crispy but the pie is equally as good without).
- Mix 1/2 cup flour and 1/2 cup brown sugar together in a bowl.
- Cut in butter until mixture is crumbly.
- Sprinkle topping mixture over apples.
- Cover top loosely with aluminum foil.
- Bake at 375 Degrees Fahrenheit for 25 minutes.
- Remove foil and bake 25 to 30 more minutes, until top is golden brown.
- Cool on a wire rack.