1/2 Photos of Anman - Steamed Buns With Azuki (Sweet Red Bean) Paste
1 hr 30 mins
This is a popular snack in China and Japan. The buns are great right out of the steamer and can also be saved in the fridge for several days and reheated or eaten cool. Extra azuki paste can refrigerated for about a week, frozen, or used as a spread. I got the recipe for the buns themselves from a RecipeZaar recipe by Ms. See. The azuki paste is a modified version of a recipe I found on About.com Prep & Cooking time do not include the time taken to make the azuki paste.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
Azuki (Red Bean) Paste
- 1Making the Azuki Paste.
- 2Put the azuki beans in a large pot and fill with water. Let them soak overnight.
- 3Bring the beans to a boil.
- 4Turn down the heat and simmer for 10 minutes.
- 5Remove the beans from the pot and drain them.
- 6Put the beans back in the pot and add 4 cups of water.
- 7Brings the beans to a boil.
- 8Turn down the heat and simmer the beans for around an hour, until they're soft.
- 9Drain the beans again.
- 10Put the beans back in the pot and add the sugar and salt.
- 11Simmer and stir the beans until they're thickened.
- 12Remove from heat and cool.
- 13Making the Buns.
- 14Combine the flour, suar, salt, yeast, and baking powder and mix well.
- 15Add the milk and water and mix well.
- 16Add the shortening and knead the dough until it's smooth (add a little extra flout if it gets too sticky).
- 17Let the dough rest for around 30 minutes, it will rise slightly.
- 18Divide the dough into 10 balls and flatten them.
- 19Take 1-2 spoonfulls of azuki paste, roll into a ball, and place in the center of one of the flattened dough balls.
- 20Wrap the dough around the azuki and pinch it closed on top (twist if needed).
- 21Repeat for the remaining dough balls.
- 22Let the anman sit for 15 minutes.
- 23Steam the anman for 15-20 minutes (a bamboo steamer works best). Add a little bit of white vinegar to the water to prevent discoloration.
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Anman - Steamed Buns With Azuki (Sweet Red Bean) Paste
Serving Size: 1 (152 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 10
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 170.4
- Calories from Fat 14
- Total Fat 1.6 g
- Saturated Fat 0.4 g
- Cholesterol 0.5 mg
- Sodium 218.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 37.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.5 g
- Sugars 24.4 g
- Protein 1.9 g
The following items or measurements are not included: