Recipe by phebaby'smum
The best tasting banana cake ever! I like tis recipe because it is easy to make and tastes excellent, it's not heavy, yet still moist. Goes great with the orange juice icing.
- 125 g butter or 125 g margarine, softened
- 125 g caster sugar
- 2 eggs
- 2 bananas, over ripe and mashed are best
- 375 g self raising flour
- 1 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
- 1⁄4 cup milk
- 1 orange, juice of
- grated orange rind (to garnish)
- 30 g butter
- 1 1⁄2 cups icing sugar
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 180deg cel. grease/line cake tin. (9').
- Beat together sugar and butter til fluffy.
- Beat in the eggs.
- Mash the banana and stir the bi carb inches.
- Add banana and bi carb to sugar and egg mix.
- Fold in the flour and milk alternately.
- Pour into cake tin.
- Bake 40 mins or till a skewer inserted in the middle comes out clean. (the cake will be browned on top, not burnt, and sort of firm to touch). Allow to sit 5 mins then turn onto wire rack to cool.
- To ice; add juice to 1 1/2 cups icing sugar, till firm, beat in the butter.
- Spread over cooled cake and garnish with orange rind.