Prep 20 mins
Cook 10 mins
Steamed, light cakes filled with sweet bean paste.
Make and share this Anko Manju recipe from Food.com.
- 3⁄4 cup cake flour
- 1⁄3 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 (8 ounce) can sweet bean paste (or homemade anko)
- Form 1-2 tablespoons of bean paste into balls.
- Mix together water, sugar, and baking powder
- Sift and slowly stir flour into the mixture (removing all lumps).
- Knead the dough on a floured board until it
- has the consistency and softness of an earlobe.
- Divide the dough into 12 pieces.
- Wrap the dough completely around each ball and place in a cloth lined steamer.
- Lightly spray water over the manju for a smoother finish.
- Steam over high heat for about 10 minutes.
Delicious! I made it without the bean paste, as I can't stand the stuff. I piped some butter cream frosting into the centers after they were done; they tasted very similar to the custard filled cakes I had in Japan- I will be making them again soon!