Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr
We all loved this growing up. It was the one thing Mom could make that didn't get even one complaint from any of us five kids!
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1⁄2 cup rice
- 1 1⁄2 cups celery (chopped)
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1 large onion (chopped)
- 1 green pepper (chopped) (optional)
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 (8 ounce) can water chestnuts (sliced)
- 1 (10 3/4 ounce) can cream of mushroom soup
- Heat oven to 350 degrees.
- Brown ground beef and onoin; drain off fat.
- Mix together beef, onion and all other ingredients.
- Place into a casserole dish and bake uncovered for one hour or until rice is tender.
- May top with cashews to serve!
I browned some ground turkey and added a box of Uncle Ben's Long Grain and Wild Rice Mix to it, and it made me think of a hot dish my mom used to make when I was a kid. I did a search and found this. This is exactly as I remember it. I made it today and the kids loved it. Not exactly gourmet fare, but definitely comfort food! Thanks for posting this. P.S. I added a little bit of sesame oil and some green onions and liked the flavor combinations. Thanks again!
Made it for dinner with ground venison. Excellent! Topped with a little sour cream. Thank you for sharing! LA