Recipe by Chef Joey Z.
PLEASE READ THE RECIPE THROUGH TO THE END BEFORE MAKING IT AS THERE ARE SOME THINGS YOU CAN DO AHEAD OF TIME My friend Anita from Canada sent me this recipe. I love how easy this recipe is to make. It is utterly delicious on a cold winter day. If you want to make this a vegan recipe you can substitute the butter for vegan margarine, the cheese for soy or almond cheese and leave out the turkey bacon or use soy bacon.
Top Review by Chef Wordsmith
I love pierogies and the frozen variety don't hold a candle to homemade, but it seems to me that 24 potatoes would be far too many potatoes for this dish. That translates into one potato for each pierogie. Perhaps it should be 2 to 4 medium potatoes?
FOR THE PIEROGIE
- 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon butter
- 1 1⁄2 cups warm water
- 1 teaspoon salt
- shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 5 large potatoes (I used Yukon Gold)
Directions See How It's Made
- Put flour, butter and salt into into the food processor, put lid on and turn on the machine. Pour the water through the feeder spout in a stream. Let blades rotate until the mixture turns into a ball of dough. Let this sit out for a while as it makes the dough easier to work with.
- FILLING METHOD:.
- Cook the potatoes, mash, add the cheese and mix well until cheese has melted into the potatoes. Let them cool a little before filling the pierogies as this will make them easier to handle.
- Next roll out your peirogie dough with a rolling pin. Use a glass or round cookie cutter to make your circles. It might be a good idea to dip whatever you use into flour to prevent it from sticking.
- Place filling on the circle, don't over fill and seal the edges well. If this leaks you lose your filling in the water.
- Place the made peirogies on a floured surface and don't let the peirogies touch, they will stick together.
- Drop the peirogies into the pot of boiling water and cook for 5-8 minutes or until they rise to the surface of the water. This means they are cooked. Boil about 6-10 at a time as this won't cool your boiling water down too much.
- Melt some butter and put in the bottom of an oven safe dish. I use a 9x13 ceramic dish. I layer the pierogies with fried onions and turkey bacon. You can use regular bacon.
- **THE ONION AND BACON CAN BE FRIED UP AHEAD OF TIME. I USE A WHOLE ONION AND 8 PIECES OF BACON CUT UP SMALL.
- Bon Appetit.