Prep 30 mins
Cook 8 hrs
A Delicious no-fuss recipe using Creole Gumbo Mix and your Crock Pot
- 453.59-907.18 g chicken, boneless skinless
- 907.18 g eckrich farm smoked sausages
- 2365.9 ml chicken broth (or, water* )
- 113.39 g package Zatarians gumbo base mix
- 1-2 small onion, diced
- 1 small green bell pepper, diced
- 59.14 ml fresh parsley
- 453.59 g can okra
- 453.59 g can corn, drained
- 226.79 g box rice, (wild pecan -or- instant white)
- Add 1 package of the Creole or Cajun Gumbo Mix to Large Pot of Cold Water or chicken broth (10 cups+)* before you put the chicken into cook. Stir well and bring to a boil.
- Please note that you can find several brands of this gumbo base mix.
- It's usually on the grocery isle with the gravy, and other sauce mixes in packages. I mentioned "Zatarians" brand in my ingredients list because that's the only brand that this program would accept. I've tried several.
- brands and they have all been very good.
- Turn heat down to medium. Add chicken to pot of water with gumbo mix and cook until done. (20-30 minutes).
- Cut cooked and cooled chicken into bite-size pieces and put back in the pot.
- Cut up the smoked sausage in small bite-size pieces and add to pot.
- Note: You can pre cook the sausage in the microwave on high for 2 minutes or so, if you would like to remove some of the grease from the sausage first, before adding to the pot.
- Add all other ingredients (except rice) and cook on low to medium for an hour. Use 1 or 2 cans each of the Vegetables (corn and okra), depending on how much you like.
- Cook the rice separately and set aside. When Gumbo is finished and you are ready to serve, add rice to individual serving bowls and spoon gumbo on top of rice.
- For variation, you can also add a package of frozen, pre cooked and shelled, medium shrimp, which is also excellent. If you use shrimp, don't add until the last 15 minutes of cooking.
- *May need to add more water, depending on how soupy or thick you want the gumbo.
- Can also be made in the crock pot and cook on low for 8-10 hours.
This was great, thank you! I added shirmp along with everything else. Loved it!!