1/1 Photo of Anita's Easy Slow Cooker Gumbo
8 hrs 30 mins
Recipe USA's Note:
A Delicious no-fuss recipe using Creole Gumbo Mix and your Crock Pot
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 453.59-907.18 g chicken, boneless skinless
- 907.18 g eckrich farm smoked sausages
- 2365.9 ml chicken broth (or, water* )
- 113.39 g package Zatarians gumbo base mix
- 1-2 small onion, diced
- 1 small green bell pepper, diced
- 59.14 ml fresh parsley
- 453.59 g can okra
- 453.59 g can corn, drained
- 226.79 g box rice, (wild pecan -or- instant white)
- 1Add 1 package of the Creole or Cajun Gumbo Mix to Large Pot of Cold Water or chicken broth (10 cups+)* before you put the chicken into cook. Stir well and bring to a boil.
- 2Please note that you can find several brands of this gumbo base mix.
- 3It's usually on the grocery isle with the gravy, and other sauce mixes in packages. I mentioned "Zatarians" brand in my ingredients list because that's the only brand that this program would accept. I've tried several.
- 4brands and they have all been very good.
- 5Turn heat down to medium. Add chicken to pot of water with gumbo mix and cook until done. (20-30 minutes).
- 6Cut cooked and cooled chicken into bite-size pieces and put back in the pot.
- 7Cut up the smoked sausage in small bite-size pieces and add to pot.
- 8Note: You can pre cook the sausage in the microwave on high for 2 minutes or so, if you would like to remove some of the grease from the sausage first, before adding to the pot.
- 9Add all other ingredients (except rice) and cook on low to medium for an hour. Use 1 or 2 cans each of the Vegetables (corn and okra), depending on how much you like.
- 10Cook the rice separately and set aside. When Gumbo is finished and you are ready to serve, add rice to individual serving bowls and spoon gumbo on top of rice.
- 11For variation, you can also add a package of frozen, pre cooked and shelled, medium shrimp, which is also excellent. If you use shrimp, don't add until the last 15 minutes of cooking.
- 12*May need to add more water, depending on how soupy or thick you want the gumbo.
- 13Can also be made in the crock pot and cook on low for 8-10 hours.
Browse Our Top Gumbo Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Anita's Easy Slow Cooker Gumbo
Serving Size: 1 (424 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 12
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 463.6
- Calories from Fat 248
- Total Fat 27.6 g
- Saturated Fat 8.7 g
- Cholesterol 82.7 mg
- Sodium 1134.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 27.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.6 g
- Sugars 3.1 g
- Protein 25.9 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
Zatarians gumbo base mix