Recipe by JamesDean'sGirl
From Gale Gand's Butter, Sugar, Flour, Eggs cookbook: vanilla-scented cake bathed in an anisette syrup, frosted with an anisette-mascarpone frosting, and topped with shaved chocolate:) This is scrumptious--one of our family's favorite party desserts! *Prep time includes chilling time.*
- 3 eggs
- 1 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 cup vegetable oil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 1⁄2 cups flour
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- 4 egg yolks
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1 lb mascarpone cheese
- 1⁄4 cup sambuca or 1⁄4 cup other anisette
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 2 tablespoons sambuca or 2 tablespoons other anisette
- 2 tablespoons semisweet chocolate, grated
Directions See How It's Made
- MAKE THE CAKE: Preheat oven to 350*F.
- Line a 13x9" baking pan with parchment paper; set aside.
- Whip the eggs and sugar together until light and fluffy using an electric mixer on medium-high speed.
- With the mixer running, drizzle in the vegetable oil, then the vanilla.
- Sift the flour and baking powder together; add to the egg mixture alternately with the milk, mixing after each addition, just until combined.
- Pour the batter into the prepared pan; bake until firm and springy to the touch, and a toothpick tests out clean, 35-40 minutes.
- Cool cake in the pan on a wire rack.
- MEANWHILE, MAKE THE TOPPING: Whip the egg yolks and sugar until light and fluffy and the sugar is almost dissolved.
- Add the mascarpone cheese and Sambucca; whip just until stiff and frosting-like, being careful not to overmix.
- (Overmixing may cause the mascarpone to separate.) Chill until ready to use.
- MAKE THE ANISETTE SYRUP: Bring the sugar and water to a boil in a small saucepan over medium-high heat.
- Remove pan from heat and add the Sambucca; set aside to cool slightly.
- Invert the cake; peel off the parchment paper.
- Brush the surface of the cake with the syrup until it is all absorbed.
- Cover with the mascarpone topping, using all the cream.
- Chill, lightly covered, at least 2 hours.
- When ready to serve, sprinkle with the grated chocolate, cut into squares, and serve cold.