Prep 4 hrs
Cook 45 mins
Dodge County Extension 1976
Make and share this Anise Rye Bread recipe from Food.com.
- 2 1⁄4 cups water
- 1 teaspoon caraway seed
- 1 teaspoon anise seed
- 2 tablespoons molasses
- 1⁄2 cup brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon shortening
- 2 teaspoons yeast
- 3 1⁄2 cups flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups rye flour
- Boil water, caraway and anise seeds for 5 minutes.
- When warm add molasses, brown sugar, and shortening.
- Add yeast.
- Mix in flour and salt.
- Let rise 1-1/2 hours in a warm place.
- Add rye flour gradually. If sticky add more flour; rye soaks up water slower than regular flour so hold off a scooch.
- Let rise again.
- Form into 2 loaves; let rise.
- Bake at 375 degrees Fahrenheit for 45 minutes.
Pull up a chair. There's plenty room around the table...with an opportunity of good conversation and eating a great homemade bread. Made for Everyday Is A Holiday.