Prep 15 mins
Cook 2 hrs
These cookies can be stored in a covered container for up to one month
- 4 eggs, separated
- 1⁄3 cup sugar, divided
- 1 teaspoon anise extract
- 1⁄2 teaspoon orange zest
- 3⁄4 cup self-rising flour
- 1⁄4 cup ice water
- Preheat oven to 375F.
- Line bottom of 9 x 13 pan with wax paper or parchment paper and set aside.
- In medium bowl, combine egg yolks and half of the sugar using an electric mixer.
- Beat til thick and lemon coloured about 3 minutes.
- Beat in extract and orange peel.
- Set mixer on low speed and gradually beat in flour and water, beating just until combined.
- Set aside.
- In separate bowl, using clean beaters, beat egg whites until foamy.
- Gradually add remaining sugar and beat until stiff peaks form.
- Spoon 2 heaping tablespoons of beaten whites into mixture to loosen batter.
- Fold in remaining whites, 1/3 at a time.
- Pour batter into paper lined pan and using a spatula smooth top.
- Bake until top is browned 20-25 minutes.
- Remove from oven, and reduce temperature to 250F.
- Using a knife or metal spatula, loosen edges of cake from pan.
- Invert cake onto wire rack.
- Peel off paper, and set cake right side up on cutting board.
- Cut into four equal sections.
- Then cut each section in half and each half into four equal slices.
- Arrange slices on a cookie sheet and bake until golden and crisp (1 - 1 1/2 hours).