Prep 10 mins
Cook 10 mins
A hot milk drink for those cold winter days
- 1 quart milk
- 1 tablespoon crushed anise seed
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons water
- Bring just to a boil milk and crushed anise seed.
- Stir in sugar and simmer on low heat about 5 minutes.
- Combine cornstarch and water.
- Stir into milk mixture and simmer an additional 5 minutes, stirring constantly.
- Strain and serve immediately.
Mm Mm Good! May try it with almond flavoring next.
This is a nice thick comfort. DD (toddler) and I enjoyed this. I made ours dairy free by using rice dream. Like another reviewer I used 4 small uncrushed star anise and simmered 10 minutes longer before adding tapioca starch in replacement of the cornstarch as we are corn free. I just used more plain rice milk in place of the water to make the drink creamier. For sugar I used dark brown. It made less than stated because it simmered down. This is definitely good for a winters day. I will make this again the same way and I would also like to try without anise and a little non-alcohol vanilla.
Yummy and creamy. Nice flavour! Might try it next time without the anise and use vanilla extract.