Recipe by Whisper
I got this recipe from a co-worker who brought these to work one day, and I loved them. The anise flavor is very delicate. Then I lost the recipe for years. And now that I have found it again, I share it with you and hope you like the cookies as much as I do! Prep time includes 1 hour chill time.
- 1 cup butter or 1 cup margarine, softened
- 2 cups sugar
- 4 eggs
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 6 1⁄2 cups flour
- 1⁄3 cup milk, plus
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 2 teaspoons anise extract
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until fluffy.
- Add eggs, one at a time, mixing after each.
- In a medium bowl, sift together flour, cream of tartar, and baking soda.
- In a small bowl, mix together milk and anise extract.
- To the butter mixture, alternately add flour mixture and milk.
- Refrigerate 1 hour or overnight.
- Roll dough out 1/4 inch thick and cut with cookie cutters.
- Place on ungreased cookie sheet.
- Bake at 350 degrees F for 10-12 minutes or until light brown.
- Cool completely and frost with buttercream icing if desired.