Prep 10 mins
Cook 30 mins
Mum used to make this receipe long time ago, I forgot it for a while, yet.looking through my cooking papers lately i wonder how it would be now.. It was a great sucess my husband went crazy for it, he asks for some every other day.. great for breakfast, snacks, with tea, or Nescafe, and a special treat on travel roads.. try it..:-)
- 2 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 4 medium eggs
- 1⁄3 cup corn oil or 1⁄3 cup sunflower oil
- 2 tablespoons anise
- baking powder
- These ingredients fit into a rectangle oven Pan about 20 x 35 cm.
- beat the eggs with the sugar till creamy.
- add vanilla and anise.
- beat in the oil.
- add the flour and baking powder portion wise as u do with the sponge cake, preferably using a wooden spoon not the food processor, if you prefer the processor do it on the slowest speed, and don't over mix to keep the air inside.
- grease the pan with oil, and pour the mixture,moisten your fingers with oil to flatten the mixture evenly, it should be about 1 cm thick at this point.
- put in a pre-heated 180 c oven.
- after about 20 min it will look like a cake - you should smell the nice anise aroma by now-.
- take it out and using a sharp knife cut it into small rectangles about 5 x 1 cm.
- take the pieces out and put them on their side on an oven tray , return to the oven till golden.
- leave in the air for a while to cool and turn crisp.
- keep in a neat jar and enjoy.