A fantastic, aromatic rice dish that is wonderfully frugal and traditional to Kenya. This recipe is a beautiful example of the fusion between African and Indian cuisines local to the area. Serve this with Kachumbari on the side!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 cup basmati rice
- 1 cup frozen black-eyed peas
- 1 cup water
- 16 ounces water
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons raisins (optional)
- 1 chicken bouillon cubes or 1 vegetable bouillon cube
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 5 cardamom pods, seeds removed from the pods and crushed
- 3 -5 tablespoons cooking oil
- 1Preheat the oven to 350.
- 2Put 1 cup water in a 2 quart saucepan and with the black eyed peas and bring to a full boil for five minutes.
- 3While the peas are boiling, peel and cut the onion, wash the rice and drain, and bring 16 oz. water to a boil with the bouillon cube in a separate saucepan.
- 4Drain the black eyed peas and put them in a bowl.
- 5Add the oil to the saucepan that had the black eyed peas and set the range to medium heat.
- 6Add the onion to the oil.
- 7Once the onions get soft, add the salt, cloves, cinnamon, cumin and crushed cardamom. Stir frequently for about 3 minutes while the smells of Kenya fill your home!
- 8Add the garlic and stir for another 3 minutes.
- 9Add the black eyed peas and mix well with the spices.
- 10Add the rice and stock from the bouillon cube.
- 11Turn the heat up to high until the mixture boils and then turn it to medium-low.
- 12Stir gently until most of the water is absorbed. Add the raisins and stir.
- 13Transfer the mixture to a covered dish (I prefer Corningware). Cover the dish with aluminum foil to make a tight seal first, then put the cover on.
- 14Cook for 45 minutes on 350.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Anina's Kenyan Pilau
Serving Size: 1 (408 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 2
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 674.1
- Calories from Fat 218
- Total Fat 24.2 g
- Saturated Fat 3.4 g
- Cholesterol 0.2 mg
- Sodium 976.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 99.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 8.6 g
- Sugars 3.5 g
- Protein 15.8 g
The following items or measurements are not included: