Recipe by Put On Your Cake Pants
Official Contest Entry: Simply Potatoes 5Fix. Animal-style skillet potatoes are diced potatoes cooked with a touch of Thousand Island dressing and topped with melted cheese and fragrant caramelized onions, a dish inspired by In-N-Out's (in)famous animal-style fries! Now, you can have the flavors of In-N-Out in the comfort of your own home - perfect as a side dish for breakfast, lunch or dinner!
Top Review by lisa
The instructions for this recipe instill confidence by giving detailed times for each step. I would even recommend this yummy and easy potato side-dish to friends who are not so adventurous in the kitchen.
- 1 (20 ounce) package Simply Potatoes Diced Potatoes with Onion
- 1 medium yellow onion, finely chopped
- 4 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1⁄3 cup thousand island dressing
- 3 slices American cheese
Directions See How It's Made
- First, start caramelizing the onions: heat 2 tablespoons oil in a large skillet over medium heat for 1-2 minutes. Place the onions in the skillet and let cook, without stirring, for 5-8 minutes, until the bottom sides have started to brown. Once the bottom sides have started to brown, reduce the heat to low and continue cooking, stirring occasionally, until the onions are thoroughly browned, about 20 minutes.
- After the onions have been cooking for about 15 minutes, start cooking the potatoes. Heat remaining 2 tablespoons oil in a separate skillet over medium heat for 1-2 minutes. Add potatoes and cook, covered, until the potatoes are easily pierced with a fork, about 15 minutes. Stir occasionally.
- Stir the Thousand Island dressing into the potatoes and stir gently to coat. Tear each slice of cheese into four pieces and place on top of the potatoes. Place the lid on the skillet and cook 1-2 minutes, until the cheese has melted.
- Top with caramelized onions and serve.