1/3 Photos of Animal Cracker Cookies
Bonnie G #2's Note:
Found this on the William-Sonoma web site and they are so cute and look pretty easy think the DGSs will really like them. So decided to put the recipe here for safe keeping until the cookie cutters I've ordered arrive and I can make them. I think these will be fun and most recipes I get from William Sonoma taste great so hope these do to. Prep time does not include refrigeration or cooling time. I've guessed at the serving amount as the number of cookies will depend on the size of your cutters. Mine are a little larger than regular animal crackers. Finally made these and it was enjoyed by everyone, not just the kids. I think the fresh grated nutmeg is a must as it adds just that little bit of mystery to the taste that has folks asking "what is that flavor" I'm thinking they might even be good dipped in chocolate!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Over small bowl, sift together the flour, baking powder, salt, nutmeg and mace, set aside.
- 2In bowl of electric mixer beat butter on high speed for 2 minutes.
- 3Reduce the speed to medium, slowly add sugar and beat for 2 minutes, stopping the mixer occasionally to scrape down sides of bowl.
- 4Add the egg and vanilla and beat for 1 minute, again stopping once to scrape down the sides of the bowl.
- 5Stop the mixer and add half of the flour mixture.
- 6eat on low speed until most of the flour has been absorbed.
- 7Add remaining flour and beat until all of the flour has been absorbed and dough starts to pull away from the sides of the bowl, 2-3 minutes.
- 8Turn dough out onto a work surface and divide into 2 equal balls. Shape eacy into a disk and wrap separately in plastic wrap. Refrigerate for at least 2 hours or up to 2 days.
- 9Let the dough stand at room temperature for 5 minutes. Place each dough disk between 2 clean, large pieces of plastic wrap.
- 10Roll out dough to 1/8 inch thickness (If dough cracks while rolling, let it stand at room temperature for 5-10 minutes) Remove plastic wrap and place the dough on a floured work surface. Lightly dust the top of dough with flour.
- 11Preheat oven to 350.
- 12Line several baking sheets with parchment paper. Dip cookie cutters (I have circus animal shapes) into flour just before using and cut out the shapes.
- 13Bake cookies until very light golden brown, 14-16 minutes. Transfer to wire rack and alow to cool to room temperature.
Browse Our Top Rolled Cookies Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Rolled Cookies Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Animal Cracker Cookies
Serving Size: 1 (18 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 40
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 80.6
- Calories from Fat 32
- Total Fat 3.6 g
- Saturated Fat 2.2 g
- Cholesterol 13.8 mg
- Sodium 40.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 11.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.2 g
- Sugars 5.0 g
- Protein 1.0 g