Prep 20 mins
Cook 45 mins
In honor of the Caribbean island of the month, here is a great taste of de islands! This makes much more barbecue sauce than you need for a single chicken. It keeps well in the refrigerator. Adapted from the Cookin' & Grillin'.
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1⁄2-2 scotch bonnet pepper, seeded and minced (1/2 gives mild heat, more for the pyromaniacs!)
- 3 lbs fresh tomatoes, ripe, peeled, seeded, chopped
- 1⁄4 cup tomato paste
- 1⁄4 cup barbecue sauce (homemade or store bought)
- 2 tablespoons caribbean hot sauce
- 1⁄4 cup cider vinegar (more if needed)
- 1⁄4 cup dark brown sugar, firmly packed (more as needed)
- 1⁄4 cup dark rum
- 1⁄4 cup water (more as needed)
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon thyme, chopped fresh (or 1/2 teaspoon dried)
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add the onion, garlic, and chile and sauté until just beginning to brown, about 5 minutes. Stir in the tomatoes and cook until most of the liquid has evaporated, 5 to 7 minutes.
- Stir in the tomato paste, barbecue sauce, hot sauce, 1/4 cup each vinegar and sugar, the rum, 1/4 cup water, the oregano, thyme, salt, and pepper and bring to a boil, stirring to dissolve the sugar. Reduce the heat to low and simmer, uncovered, until thick and richly flavored, 20 to 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Remove from the heat and taste for seasoning, adding salt, vinegar, or sugar as necessary; the sauce should be highly seasoned. Add water if the sauce seems too thick.
- Any unused sauce may be stored, covered, in the refrigerator for 2 to 3 weeks.
- Makes 3 to 4 cups.
EXCELLENT! I made this for a whole chicken which I then cut into portions - I had some sauce left over, which I will serve with barbequed sausages today! I stuck to the recipe 100%, and would not change a thing next time I make this. We loved the addition of the rum and also the hot sauce really revved it up! I used 1/2 scotch bonnet.....my eyes are still streaming! Made for BBQ sauce cook off contest. Thanks! FT:-)