Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
This is a double-duty sauce -- it also does a stellar job as a basting sauce for a roasted whole bird!
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1⁄2 cup finely diced onion
- 4 garlic cloves, finely diced
- 6 plum tomatoes, coarsely chopped
- 1⁄4 cup ketchup
- 1⁄4 cup water
- 2 tablespoons English mustard
- 2 tablespoons dark brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons treacle (may substitute molasses)
- 2 tablespoons tamarind paste
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 tablespoon dried ancho chile powder
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- Heat the butter in a large saucepan over medium-high heat.
- Add the onions and garlic and cook until soft.
- Add the remaining ingredients and cook for 15 minutes.
- Place the mixture in a blender and blend until smooth.
- Return to the saucepan and cook for an additional 15 to 20 minutes, or until thickened to your liking.