Recipe by Angela Butler
Frozen cut green beans and chopped onion are stirred into a yogurt-based sauce then topped with cheddar cheese and bread crumb topping and baked resulting in a delicious, easy to prepare side dish that will bring your taste buds alive--not your typical green bean casserole!
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon white sugar
- 1⁄4 cup onion, diced
- 1 cup plain yogurt or 1 cup light sour cream
- 16 ounces frozen cut green beans or 16 ounces French style green beans
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 1⁄2 cup seasoned stuffing mix, bread crumbs for prepared stuffing (herb or plain)
- 1 tablespoon butter, melted
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
- Melt 2 tablespoons butter in a large skillet over medium heat. Stir in flour until smooth, and cook for one minute. Stir in the salt, sugar, onion, and yogurt. Add green beans, and stir to coat.
- Transfer the mixture to a 2 1/2 quart casserole dish. Spread shredded cheese over the top.
- In a small skillet, melt remaining (1 tbsp) of butter and add bread crumbs, coating with butter. Sprinkle over the cheese.
- Bake for 30-40 minutes in the preheated oven, or until the top is golden and cheese is bubbly.