Recipe by KVasanth
My daughter is allergic to eggs, and I searched forever to find a decent birthday cake recipe for her first birthday (trust me, there are a lot of stinkers on recipezaar). This simple cake came out moist and flavourful! No mixer necessary- you can make this one using a bowl and spoon in just a few minutes.
- 2 cups flour
- 1 2⁄3 cups sugar
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup margarine (or shortening)
- 1 cup milk
- 2⁄3 cup applesauce, smooth and containing cornstarch if possible
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1⁄2 teaspoon almond extract
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Grease and flour two round cake pans.
- Add dry ingredients to a large mixing bowl. Stir well to incorporate evenly.
- Create a well in the dry ingredients, and add the remaining ingredients. Stir well to mix thoroughly.
- Divide batter between both pans.
- Bake 30-45 minutes (depending on your oven) until a skewer comes out clean.