Recipe by Marlitt
Found this recipe on another site, my compliments to Dot. This is a fabulous recipe. Quick and easy. Its good the same day but, make a least a day ahead, up two weeks ahead it's flavor only gets better.It does stays crunchy. People that don't eat coleslaw like this one. Prep time does not include time to marinade. If you use the packaged shredded cabbage it only takes 5 minutes.
Top Review by rosemere
Yummy! I really liked the addition of the celery. For health sake I just used about two teaspoons of sugar and it tasted great. I also cut back on the oil to about 1/2 cup and used about a tablespoon of sesame oil in addition. Instead of white vinegar, I used Bragg's Apple cider vinegar. It was very tasty. I liked the addition of the dry mustard. Thanks for sharing.
- 1 head cabbage, shredded
- 1 large red onion, diced
- 1 cup grated carrot
- 2 stalks celery, chopped
- 1 cup white sugar or 1 cup Splenda sugar substitute, to make low carb
- 1 cup white vinegar
- 3⁄4 cup vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 tablespoon dry mustard
- black pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large bowl, add cabbage, carrots, celery and onion.
- Sprinkle with 1 cup sugar or splenda, and toss so that it is well mixed in.
- In a saucepan, combine vinegar, oil, salt, dry mustard, and pepper.
- Bring to a boil.
- Pour the hot dressing over the cabbage mixture, and mix well.
- Can be served once chilled but best put into a large covered container, and refridgerate for at least 24 hrs.
- If you let sit longer (flavor increases) it is best to pour off some of the juice before serving.