Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr
This is a blend of 3 squash soup recipes that I developed into my own. Hope you enjoy as much as I do. My family and friends keep asking for the recipe - so I thought I'd post it.
- 2 lbs butternut squash or 2 lbs buttercup squash, quartered
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 3 carrots, diced
- 3 stalks celery, diced
- 3 garlic cloves, diced (or 1/2 tsp garlic powder)
- 2 medium potatoes, diced
- 4 (284 ml) cans chicken broth or 4 (284 ml) cans vegetable broth
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt or 1⁄2 teaspoon seasoning salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper (to taste)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon nutmeg (to taste)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cinnamon (to taste)
- 2 -3 tablespoons margarine
- 1⁄2-3⁄4 cup light cream
- 1 tablespoon sour cream
- 1⁄4 cup Bourbon (whiskey)
- Bake the squash in the oven with a little water on a cookie sheet until fork tender.
- Let cool & scoop flesh from peel & mash.
- In a saucepan (or pot big enough to make soup), sautee in margarine, the onions, celery, garlic, carrots & potatoes until soft.
- Stir in the salt, pepper, cinnamon, and nutmeg.
- Stir in the soup broth or stock.
- Stir in the cooled, mashed squash & simmer for a few minutes to let the flavors mix.
- Ladle the mixture (in small batches) into the blender and puree until smooth and creamy, then transfer to a big bowl. Repeat until all mixture from pot has been pureed.
- Return the blended soup back into the pot and reheat slowly, and stir in the cream and bourbon (if desired.).
- Once reheated, ladle into bowls and add a tablespoon of sour cream to garnish (or stir in is good, too).
Very good recipe!! I will make this often. Made exactly as written.