Prep 10 mins
Cook 35 mins
very light and fluffy
- 1 1⁄4 cups cake flour
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 13 egg whites
- 1 tablespoon warm water
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons cream of tartar
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1⁄2 teaspoon almond extract
- Sift together the first two ingredients.
- Beat the egg whites, water, and salt until foamy.
- Add the cream of tartar into soft peaks.
- Gradually add the sugar, beating into very stiff peaks.
- Carefully fold in the extracts.
- Then gradually sift in flour-sugar mixture just until blended.
- Gently push batter into ungreased 10- inch tube pan. Carefully cut through batter with a knife to remove air bubbles. Place on lower rack in oven so top doesn't get too dark. Bake at 360 degrees for 30 to 35 minutes. Invert pan on a funnel to cool.
- VARIATIONS: For chocolate cake, remove 3 tablespoons flour from cup and replace it with 3 tablespoons cocoa powder. Or add several drops of peppermint flavoring and a little green color instead of vanilla for a mint cake. Ice this cake with chocolate icing.
Another new experience for me = The making of an angel food cake! Was going to make a 'regular' one, then opted for the chocolate, & it turned out GREAT! Didn't frost it, but served it with a frogen peach yogurt & a small amount of homemade chocolate syrup! Very tasty!! Then, just so I could use up the leftover egg yolks, I made several batches of pudding as gifts for friends AND used the last couple of yolks in scrambled eggs! Worked well enough for me! Loved this cake! [Made & reviewed for one of my adopted chefs in this Spring's PAC]