Recipe by greysangel
Just like mom's meatloaf with a nice tangy, saucey topping. Give it a try with some mashed potatoes or mac and cheese.
- 1 large vidalia onion
- 1 1⁄2 cups quick oats
- 1 large egg
- 2 lbs lean ground beef or 2 lbs turkey
- 2 cups canned no-salt-added tomato sauce (divided)
- 1 (1 1/4 ounce) package onion soup mix (i go for the beefy onion - 1 packet)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- chopped fresh parsley
- 1 cup water
- 1⁄4 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1⁄4 cup packed brown sugar (light or dark..I use dark)
- 1⁄4 cup yellow mustard
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Finely chop onion. In a large bowl lightly beat egg. Add chuck, onion, oats, 1 cup tomato sauce, soup mix, parsley and pepper and lightly blend with hands until just combined. In a roasting pan form mixture into a roughly 9- by 5-inch loaf and bake in middle of oven 10 minutes.
- While meatloaf is baking, in a small saucepan whisk together water, vinegar, brown sugar, mustard, and remaining cup tomato sauce and bring to a boil over moderate heat. Reduce heat and simmer so that sauce thickens and reduces.
- After meatloaf has baked 20 minutes, spoon enough sauce over meatloaf to coat it. Continue to bake meatloaf, spooning more after 45 minutes and then 1 hour and 10 minutes more, or until a thermometer inserted in center registers 160°F Let meatloaf stand in pan on a rack 10 minutes.
- Adjust time if cooking in muffin tins.
- Serve meatloaf with sauce on the side.