Prep 15 mins
Cook 40 mins
Really rich, my daughter's favorite potato bake. I've thought about using "lite" cream for this, but hey, the longest I've ever stayed on a diet was 3 hours. However, in a pinch, I once subbed evaporated milk (Pet Cream in Yatese) for the cream; was pretty good.
- 4 -5 medium potatoes, scrubbed and thinly sliced
- 1 large leek, thoroughly cleaned and sliced
- 6 -8 ounces cream
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- salt and pepper
- Pre heat oven to 350.
- Heat oil in pan over med-low, when hot add leeks and saute, stirring often until just beginning to brown. Remove from heat.
- Spray or butter a shallow, fairly large (9x13 is good) ovenproof dish.
- Roughly divide potatoes into three stacks keeping the nicely shaped largest ones for the top layer.
- Layer 1/3 potatoes, add salt and pepper to taste, top with half of the leeks, repeat this step and layer last of potatoes on top, overlapping and looking good.
- Pour cream over.
- Bake covered for 25-30 minutes.
- Remove cover, raise heat to 425, bake uncovered for further 10-12 minuted (top should be golden).
This was pretty quick and easy to do and looked lovely coming out of the oven all golden as I had sprinkled a little mozzarella on top. I did not use cream but tried the evap milk and it was successful but next time I will throw caution to the wind and try using the cream or lite cream - thanks to omeomy #2 for something yummy.
OMG! I love potatoes but the added leek and cream was to die for. I made this with Jen's Hawaiian pork chops and it made the meal complete. I also added garlic just cause I love the stuff to much to leave it out of anything. Thank you for a wonderful potato dish. This will be made again.
Simple and full of flavor! I cooked this a little longer to make sure the potatoes were cooked all through. Great side dish! Thank you Mandy.