Recipe by ElizabethKnicely
Mexican night starts with carne asada - tender citrus-marinated beef piled high on corn tortillas with grilled cactus, cilantro, and 2 types of zesty salsa.
- 1⁄2 lb thinly sliced beef steak (carne asada)
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled and minced
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 1⁄2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 2 tablespoons lime juice, divided (fresh squeezed)
- 1⁄4 cup orange juice (fresh squeezed)
- 2 tablespoons basil leaves, roughly chopped
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup medium red onion, sliced 1/4-inch thick and divided
- 2 nopales, leaves (cactus)
- 5 corn tortillas
- 1⁄2 bunch cilantro, roughly chopped
- 5 green onions, diced
- 1 (16 ounce) jarherdez salsa casera
- 1 (16 ounce) jarherdez salsa verde
- prepared guacamole (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Add uncooked carne asada to large bowl. Add garlic, salt, pepper, balsamic vinegar, 1 tablespoon of fresh lime juice, orange juice, basil leaves, honey, olive oil, and 1/2 cup red onions to meat. Mix together completely and marinate 5 minutes.
- Add marinated meat to grill on medium to high heat. Brush the marinade over meat and cook until well done.
- Grill nopales leaves on both sides over medium heat, 5 minutes on each side.
- Remove meat and nopales leaves from grill and slice in very thin pieces.
- Warm tortillas on grill. Place warm tortilla on plates. Add carne asada to center of each tortilla.
- Add to the center, remaining red onion, nopales, cilantro, green onions, remaining 1 tablespoons of lime juice, and salsa.
- Serve with guacamole, if desired.