Prep 45 mins
Cook 30 mins
I loveeeeeeee this chicken!! I hope you enjoy it! I've only used my curry paste to make this dish...but if you reallllllllly dont want to make mine *sniff*, you can use whatever kind you wish to use. I highly recommend making the recipe as is... you'll just LOVE it! (this recipe of curry paste makes extra; Save the extra for later or make a smaller amount)
- 1 small onion, minced
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 4 tablespoons curry powder
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 2 tablespoons white wine vinegar
- 2 teaspoons ginger, minced
- 25 peppercorns
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons coriander seeds
- 1⁄4 teaspoon lime zest
Ingredients for the rest of the dish
- 3 chicken breasts
- 5 tablespoons plain yogurt
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons minced ginger
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1⁄2 large onion, chopped
- 2 tomatoes (nice sized, seeded and chopped, save as much of the juice as possible! amount of tomato plus juice s)
- 75 ml heavy cream
- 4 tablespoons curry paste (see recipe above)
- 1⁄3 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄3 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 cups uncooked basmati rice
- Prepare all ingredients for curry paste.
- Heat fry pan and add all ingredients and heat for 4-5 minutes.
- scrape ingredients into blender and blend until a smooth paste.
- Scrape out of blender and put into a small (preferably glass) bowl (glass to prevent staining!).
- Clean out your blender.
- Curry powder will stain.
- Assemble your blender again, as you will be using it again in a few minutes!
- Clean chicken and cut into small pieces, approximately 1 inch pieces.
- In your blender add garlic, ginger, tomato and yogurt and blend until all is nice and smooth.
- Keep lid on blender and set aside for later.
- Measure oil into a nice sized pan (one which has a lid) and heat on medium heat.
- Add onion and fry for 2-3 minutes (will begin to turn clear).
- Add the yogurt-tomato mixture from your blender and stir constantly for one minute.
- Add the curry paste and stir constantly for another minute or so.
- Then add cubed chicken to the pan and completely mix.
- Add heavy cream at this time and stir constantly until mixture starts to bubble.
- Add salt and pepper (more or less; whatever you desire), and cover.
- reduce heat to low-med heat and simmer for 20 minutes.
- It would be a good idea to start cooking your rice (according to package directions, so it is done at the same time as your chicken tikka!) After 20 mins, check to see if chicken is completely cooked!
- Serve over rice!
- Be sure to use the gravy as well!
- (warning. if you use too much gravy, you can really kill the flavor of this dish. use just enough to coat the rice).
This was very tasty. My BIL really liked it and had 2 helpings :) My 2yo nephew thought it was a little spicy and was not a big fan, however my 1yo nephew ate it without a problem! I didn't have any cream, which I think would really make this recipe thicker and richer (I used 3% homo milk). Once the curry paste was made, the rest of the recipe came together quickly. My curry paste is missing coriander, which was really upsetting, but I will put it in next time! This was a perfect dish for our Indian cuisine night :) Yum!
Very good dish! The directions are lengthy but it comes together quickly. I followed it exactly as written except I used a can of diced tomatoes with juice and my sauce was thick enough. I also added frozen peas at the end just to add some color and veggies.
I this now one of my signature dishes at home. :) thank you.