Prep 1 hr 15 mins
Cook 35 mins
This is the BEST whole wheat bread recipe you will ever have! So light and fluffy, you will hardly believe it's healthy! It makes 5 loaves. You can also add 1/2 cup nonfat dry milk to the other ingredients, but it is less calories without it, and tastes just as good.
- Put the hot water in a mixer-bowl, sprinkle with yeast, then drizzle the honey over the top. Set in a warm, sunny spot, let it get foamy.
- Meanwhile, in a separate mixing bowl combine 4 cups of flour with the rest of the ingredients (except the oil) and mix well.
- Once the yeast mixture is foamy, add the mixed ingredients, then the olive oil. Using the dough hook, knead on low for 10 minutes, gradually adding the rest of the flour, until it forms a ball and is no longer sticky. You may need less or more than the original 13 cups of flour.
- Grease the mixing bowl with cooking spray, form the dough into a nice, big ball and place in the bowl, then spray the top of the dough, and lightly cover with plastic wrap. Place in a warm, sunny spot to rise for about 40 minutes.
- On a lightly greased surface, dump out the dough, divide into 5 balls of dough, and one at a time, roll out into a large rectangle, about an inch thick, then roll tightly up and fold the edges under, to make a nice loaf shape. Place into well greased loaf pan, spray a large sheet of plastic wrap and loosely cover the loaf to let it rise again, you guessed it—in a sunny, warm spot, (if possible) for 35 minutes, or until the dough rises an inch or so above the edge of the pan.
- Remove the plastic wrap, (obviously) and place in a COLD oven. THEN, turn the oven on to 350* and set the timer for 35 minutes.
- After the bread is out, dump it onto a cooling rack, and if you like, run a stick of butter or margarine over the top to make it beautiful and shiny.